Science as a subject is the best field that enhances the knowledge on behavior of physical and natural world around us. PHYSICS being one of the fields in science teaches us about matter and motion and its behavior via space and time which further educate us on existence of force and energy. There are many people who come from different walks of life who are inspired and want to learn physics and what to shape their careers in Mechanical & Electrical Engineering.
The top entrance exams in this field are listed below:
- IIT JEE/JEE Advanced:Joint Entrance Examination – Advanced (JEE-Advanced), formerly the Indian Institutes of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) is an annual engineering college entrance examination in India. It is a national level engineering exam. It is conducted by one of the seven zonal IITs (IIT Roorkee, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, and IIT Guwahati ) under guidance of the Joint Admission Board(JAB).
- JEE Mains:JEE Main is applicable for admission to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs participating though Central Seat Allocation Board
- NEET/PMT:The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test or NEET is an entrance examinationin India, for students who wish to study graduate and postgraduate medical course (MBBS, MD, MS) and dental course (BDS, MDS) in government or private medical colleges and dental colleges respectively in India
- BITSAT: BITSAT (BITS Admission Test) is a computer-based admission test conducted by BITS, Pilani for its integrated first-degree programmes offered by all its three campuses – Pilani campus, Goa campus and Hyderabad campus.
Among many aspirants each of them want to prepare for IIT JEE/NEET/BITSAT examinations. However not everyone is able to get hands on the best guides and learning material. The most important topics to be covered for these exams are Mechanics and Electrodynamics. One should also focus on topics like Heat, Thermodynamics, Optics and Modern Physics.
Detailed syllabus for physics for all the exams are listed below with their main and sub topics
- Mechanics: Unit & Dimension, Kinematics, Law of motion & fiction, Work, energy & power, Gravitation, Circular motion, Rotational motion, Oscialiation, Waves & sounds.
- Heat & thermodynamics: Heat, Kinetics of theory, Heat Phenomena, Thermodynamic
- Electricity & Magnetism: Electrostatics, Magnetic static, Current electricity, Electromagnetic induction and Alternating current.
- Optics: Ray & Wave Optics.
- Modern Physics: Atomic & Nuclear Physics, Relativity.
- Property of Solids & Liquid: Liquid at rest, Flow of liquid & viscosity
IIT-JEE /JEE Advanced:
- General physics: Units and dimensions, dimensional analysis; last count, significant figures; Methods of measurement and error analysis for physical quantities pertaining to the experiments: based on using Vernier callipers and screw gauge (micrometer), Determination of g using simple pendulum, Young’s modulus by Searle’s method, Specific heat of a liquid using calorimeter, focal length of a concave mirror and a convex lens using u-v method, Speed of sound using resonance column, Verification of Ohm’s law using voltmeter and ammeter, and specific resistance of the material of a wire using meter bridge and post office box
- Mechanics: Kinematics in one and two dimensions (Cartesian coordinates only), projectiles; Uniform Circular motion; Relative velocity. Newton’s laws of motion, Inertial and uniformly accelerated frames of reference, Static and dynamic friction, Kinetic and potential energy, Work and power, Conservation of linear momentum and mechanical energy. Systems of particles, Centre of mass and its motion, Elastic and inelastic collisions Law of gravitation, Acceleration due to gravity, Motion of planets and satellites in circular orbits, Escape velocity. Rigid body, moment of inertia, parallel and perpendicular axes theorems, moment of inertia of uniform bodies with simple geometrical shapes, Angular momentum, Torque, Conservation of angular momentum, Linear and angular simple harmonic motions. Hooke’s law, Young’s modulus. Pressure in a fluid, Pascal’s law, Buoyancy, Surface energy and surface tension, capillary rise, Viscosity (Poiseuille’s equation excluded), Stoke’s law, Terminal velocity, Streamline flow, equation of continuity, Bernoulli’s theorem and its applications.
- Wave motion (plane waves only), longitudinal and transverse waves, superposition of waves, Progressive and stationary waves, Vibration of strings and air columns, Resonance; Beats, Speed of sound in gases, Doppler effect (in sound).
- Thermal Physics : Thermal expansion of solids, liquids and gases Calorimetry, latent heat, Heat conduction in one dimension; Elementary concepts of convection and radiation; Newton’s law of cooling; Ideal gas laws, Isothermal and adiabatic processes, bulk modulus of gases, First law of thermodynamics and its applications, Blackbody radiation, Kirchhoff’s law, Wien’s displacement law, Stefan’s law.
- Electricity & Magnetism: Coulomb’s law, Electric field and potential, Electric field lines, Flux of electric field, Gauss’s law and its application. Capacitance. Electric current, Ohm’s law; Series and parallel arrangements of resistances and cells, Kirchhoff’s laws and simple applications; Heating effect of current. Biot–Savart’s law and Ampere’s law, Magnetic field near a current-carrying straight wire, along the axis of a circular coil and inside a long straight solenoid; Force on a moving charge and on a current-carrying wire in a uniform magnetic field.
- Electromagnetic Induction: Faraday’s law, Lenz’s law, Self and mutual inductance; RC, LR and LC circuits
- Optics: Rectilinear propagation of light, Reflection and refraction at plane and spherical surfaces, Total internal reflection, Deviation and dispersion of light by a prism, Thin lenses, Combinations of mirrors and thin lenses, Magnification
- Wave nature of light: Huygen’s principle, interference limited to Young’s double-slit experiment
- Modern Physics: Atomic nucleus, Alpha, beta and gamma radiations, Law of radioactive decay, Decay constant, Half-life and mean life, Binding energy and its calculation, Fission and fusion processes, Energy calculation in these processes. Photoelectric effect, Bohr’s theory of hydrogen-like atoms, Characteristic and continuous X-rays, Moseley’s law; de Broglie wavelength of matter waves.
- Units & Measurement: Units and Dimensional analysis, Precision and significant figures, Fundamental measurements in Physics
- Kinematics: Properties of vectors, Position, velocity and acceleration vectors, Motion with constant acceleration, Projectile motion, Uniform circular motion, Relative motion.
- Newton’s Law of Motion: Newton’s laws (free body diagram, resolution of forces), Motion on an inclined plane and of blocks with pulley system, Circular motion – centripetal force, Inertial and non-inertial frames
- Impulse and Momentum: Conservation of momentum, Collisions, Momentum of a system of particles, Center of mass.
- Work & Energy: Work done by a force, Kinetic energy and work-energy theorem, Power, Conservative forces and potential energy, Conservation of mechanical energy.
- Rotational Motion: Rotational motion with constant angular acceleration, Moment of inertia, Parallel and perpendicular axes theorems, rotational kinetic energy, Torque and angular momentum, Conservation of angular momentum & Rolling motion
- Gravitation: Gravitational potential energy, Escape velocity, Motion of planets – Kepler’s laws, satellite motion
- Mechanics of Solids and Fluids: Elasticity, Pressure, density and Archimedes’ principle, Viscosity and Surface Tension, Bernoulli’s theorem.
- Oscillations: Kinematics of simple harmonic motion, Spring mass system, simple and compound pendulum, Forced & damped oscillations, resonance.
- Waves: Progressive sinusoidal waves, Standing waves in strings and pipes, Doppler Effect
- Heat and Thermodynamics: Kinetic theory of gases, Thermal equilibrium and temperature, Specific heat, Heat Transfer – Conduction, convection and radiation, thermal conductivity, Newton’s law of cooling, 2nd law of thermodynamics, Carnot engine – Efficiency and Coefficient of performance
- Electrostatics: Coulomb’s law, Electric field (discrete and continuous charge distributions), Electrostatic potential and Electrostatic potential energy, Gauss’ law and its applications, Electric dipole, Capacitance and dielectrics (parallel plate capacitor, capacitors in series and parallel)
- Current Electricity: Ohm’s law, Joule heating, D.C circuits – Resistors and cells in series and parallel, Kirchoff’s laws, potentiometer and Wheatstone bridge, Electrical Resistance
- Magnetic Effect of Current: Biot-Savart’s law and its applications, Ampere’s law and its applications, Lorentz force, force on current carrying conductors in a magnetic field, Magnetic moment of a current loop, torque on a current loop, Galvanometer and its conversion to voltmeter and ammeter
- Electromagnetic Induction: Faraday’s law, Lenz’s law, eddy currents, Self and mutual inductance, Transformers and generators, Alternating current (peak and RMS value), AC circuits, LCR circuits
- Optics: Laws of reflection and refraction, Lenses and mirrors, Optical instruments – telescope and microscope, Interference – Huygen’s principle, Young’s double slit experiment, Electromagnetic waves and their characteristics (only qualitative ideas), Electromagnetic spectrum, Polarization – states of polarization, Malus’ law, Brewster’s law
- Modern Physics: Dual nature of light and matter – Photoelectric effect, De Broglie wavelength, Atomic models – Rutherford’s experiment, Bohr’s atomic model, Hydrogen atom spectrum, Radioactivity, Nuclear reactions : Fission and fusion, binding energy
- Electronic Devices: Energy bands in solids (qualitative ideas only), conductors, insulators and semiconductors, Semiconductor diode, Junction transistor, transistor action, characteristics of a transistor; transistor as an amplifier (common emitter configuration) and oscillator, Logic gates.
- Physical World & Measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work Energy & Power
- Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations and Waves
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
- Atoms and Nuclei
- Electronic Devices
With less time, it is just the right time to make a timetable with the correct books in hand and prepare for the entrance exam Here are some eBooks like Physics eBooks for IIT-JEE/JEE Advanced, Physics eBooks for JEE Mains, Physics eBooks for NEET/PMT, Physics eBooks for BITSAT which will provide you knowledge equivalent of a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics (and will be able to prepare for a good score as well on the Physics entrance examination.